Wednesday 8 February 2012

You're getting old...


At the ripe old age of twenty going on twenty one I have came to the conclusion, I am getting old. It is an unfortunate event that I must finally face up to, along with the fact that yes, one day I might turn thirty, and no it is not that big a deal. Who am I kidding, chances my liver and lungs, or my sanity, will hold out another nine years? Not likely.

Now adays the thought of a three day drinking binge is painful, the hangovers alone are agony these days, dying might be less painful. Tomorrow I am going out, and am considering not only not drinking much (a hangover at work the next is a not a thought I want to entertain right now) but also wearing flat shoes. Wearing heels feels like too much effort now unless it's a Saturday night. And dressing appropriately for the weather. The list is endless.

So here is some signs you're getting old:

  1. Drinking becomes a challenge. Shots go out of the window, a night out is started with "no jager tonight," followed by "maybe a few sambucca, but no more than that," and "one or two tequila is ok I suppose." Drinking games feel barbaric and pre drinking involves a few glasses of wine, instead of a few bottles.
  2. While out you tend to avoid clubs that are "too busy." If you can't move then you don't go any more, if it's too cold outside then you avoid smoking. If the toilets are horrible (which the majority of time they are) then you try to avoid going.
  3. The hangovers are killer. A whole day in bed feels like the best way to recuperate. And if you need to do anything that day the thought is painful. Even the smell of a drink makes you feel sick, and food is best avoided the majority of the day.
  4. When you see 6am it's no longer because you are just going to bed. Bed time is now half 10, 11 at a push. After having a nap earlier that day. 6am is now the time you get up, sober, for work etc. And a "late night" is staying up past midnight.
  5. Everything starts to hurt. Constantly. Especially after anything that required minimal effort. 
  6. When people phone you after 9ish they ask if they woke you, before telling you how tired you sound. Then get off the phone quickly so they can let you sleep.
  7. You actually eat breakfast, for breakfast. Instead of chocolate, crisps and other junk food before 9am classes, and "breakfast foods" for lunch or dinner. As much as chocolate for meals sounds amazing the thought of it...

1 comment:

  1. STACEY! I'm so sorry that I never responded to your comment. I don't think I ever realized that I had a comment on my site, or that I had anyone that follows the blog! I write as a type of therapy to remind myself that I love being single, if not for the crazy stuff that has happened recently. I'm glad you like the blog!

    And this post of yours is too true! There are lots of things that I can totally agree with from here.

    I hope you continue reading! I'm actually working on a post for tonight!

    -Blake

    ReplyDelete